Saturday, June 1, 2013

CityVille 2 Part I


Cityville 2 was a beast of a project. We wanted to push the narrative envelope for the "invest and express" genre, and work in an ironic, irreverent tone that had never been tried before on a 'Ville game. I worked on it for close to a year and a half, contributing in all areas of the 2D look of the game. I established the style for icons, items, and most proudly, the characters. I worked with a very talented and pedigreed group of designers, and they really let me have fun bringing their characters to life. The flexibility and trust they gave me was truly unparalleled.

Sadly, the game didn't live up to expectations. Some design experiments we made didn't pay off as we'd hoped, technical difficulties plagued us from the beginning, and its release was ultimately overshadowed by the colossal hit that was FarmVille 2. Still, I was thrilled and honored to work on such a quirky title, and with such amazing teammates. The lessons I learned working on CityVille 2 I will carry with me throughout my career.

No comments: