Sunday, February 22, 2009

Dark Star Orchestra


Being the hardcore punk rocker that I am, I had a hard time coming up with a theme for a Grateful Dead cover band. I wanted to avoid the whole feel-good, mushrooms-and-wizards imagery you tend to see on jam band posters, as well as the whole tie-dye and granola stereotype that you see everywhere. There is a lot of interesting imagery from the hippie culture, but you've got to sift through a ton of neutered, family-friendly crap to find it.

I found my inspiration from the Manson family and the drug exploitation paperbacks of the era. By poking fun at the moral panic surrounding hippies at the time, I felt I could give the poster a much needed edginess, while at the same time gently mocking the hippie culture in general. It's probably not what Dark Star Orchestra had in mind for a poster, but I hope they get the joke.

No comments: